Sunday, January 9, 2011

YA Historical Fiction Challenge



This is my first ever reading challenge, and I'm really excited! Tons of blogs are hosting reading challenges, including a 2011 debut authors challenge, a 2011 YA contemporary challenge, classics and "off the shelves" challenges, a book blogger recommendation challenge, and many more.

But I've always loved historical fiction--Jennifer Donnelly's The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose are two of my favorites--and I'm currently obsessed with young adult fiction, so it only makes sense to combine the two!

Last year, I read Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series and Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel--both of which I loved--so I thought I'd give this YA Historical Fiction Challenge a try. It helps that there are so many wonderful books out there, and many more coming out this year!

Check out YA Bliss' blog for all the details.

And as for me...I'm going to attempt a Level 3 challenge: reading 15 YA HF novels in 2011!

Here's my list:

1. Bright Young Things by Anna Godberson

2. The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

3. The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

4. Vixen by Jillian Larkin

5. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

6. A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

7. Invisible Things by Jenny Davidson

8. The Explosionist by Jenny Davidson

9. Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

10. The Season by Sarah MacLean

11. Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

12. A Spy in the House (The Agency #1) by Y.S. Lee

13. The Body at the Tower (The Agency #2) by Y.S. Lee

14. Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

15. Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

Some of these titles I've wanted to read for ages, and some I've only just heard about. I'm looking forward to stepping outside of my historical fiction comfort zone (trying books with a more "serious" theme) and stepping into periods that I'm not normally drawn to (like Philadelphia in the late 18th century). I'm hoping to find some great reads from authors I already know and love, and hopefully discover a few new favorites from among the list. And, of course, complete the challenge before the start of the next new year!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing list! Thanks for joining the challenge and good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete