Thursday, December 9, 2010

Beth Revis' ACROSS THE UNIVERSE Contest!!!

Beth Revis is hosting an "Epic Contest Of Epic" on her blog in anticipation of her debut release 
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE!

She and Penguin/Razorbill are teaming up to offer 100 Prizes!!!

Yeah, you heard that right.  ONE HUNDRED PRIZES!


There will be swag and signed ARCs, watches and buttons, postcards and bookmarks,
and even a Signed Hardcover First Edition of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE! 

How amazing is that?
(Very amazing!)

The contest ends December 20th.  
For all the details, see Beth's blog:  Epic Contest of Epic


My Thoughts on ACROSS THE UNIVERSE:

Of the dozens of books coming out next year, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE is at the top of my Most Anticipated Books of 2011 list.  The first chapter is amazing, the cover is eye-catching, and the entire premise is just so fascinating that I cannot wait to read this book!  I'm not normally a big fan of science fiction in literature (time travel, advanced technology, space exploration, etc.) but this title caught my attention mainly due to its similarities to FIREFLY.  

Joss Whedon's FIREFLY was one of my favorite short-lived television shows: it revolves around a motley crew of disreputable space smugglers living aboard a small, cramped metal ship that is nevertheless very homey and familiar, traveling from planet to planet as they avoid the authorities and try to survive in an east-meets-west style universe.  

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE is also about a crew living aboard a ship, and that's what first caught my attention.  But the story is not so much about survival in the "running-from-the-law" sense (I'm assuming, since I haven't read the book yet) but about a very long journey--not unlike the Star Trek spin-off VOYAGER--and a murder mystery the must be solved by the two main protagonists.  

I also read something about a very strange social order that exists on the ship, different from what Earth-girl Amy is used to.  The whole thing sounds so interesting and so different from a lot of YA fare coming out right now, and I've heard so many good things about the book and been blown away by the first chapter, that I know it'll be good.  Definitely a must-read for 2011!          



No comments:

Post a Comment